Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup. Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox. Email F.H. Stoltze Land & Lumber Co. is reducing production and laying off employees due to lack of available log supply at its sawmill facility in Columbia Falls.Beginning Sept. 29, production hours at the sawmill will be reduced from 80 hours per week to 60 hours for an indefinite period of time. Ten employees are also being laid off.“This is just agonizing,” Stoltze General Manager Chuck Roady said. “This is hard to grasp.”Roady said he informed the employees of the cutbacks Wednesday afternoon.The reduction is the most significant Stoltze has experienced in years, including throughout the recent recession. It was the largest employee layoff “in a long, long time,” Roady said.Statewide lumber production and worker wages increased in the first six months of 2014, according to a new study, but Roady and others in the logging industry have raised concerns in recent months over persistent litigation that has tied up timber sales across Northwest Montana.Earlier this week, U.S. District Court Judge Donald Molloy ruled in favor of environmental groups opposed to logging in the Stillwater State Forest, a 93,000-acre swatch of land near Olney with six separate sales. Stoltze had two of those sales, with an estimated 6 million board feet in each, Roady said. A third sale was owned through a contractor who planned to utilize Stoltze’s facility.Following the court decision, the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation suspended portions of its timber sale contracts for the forest indefinitely.“We were faced with this anyway. But the (Molloy decision) was the final jab in the gut,” Roady said.Roady said company managers decided to reduce production by 25 percent each week to save larger layoffs. The layoffs will likely be permanent, Roady said.“It is with extreme frustration that we announce this curtailment. At a time when lumber markets are rebounding, we are faced with having to reduce production due to lack of access to the raw material,” he stated. “This is not a decision that has been made lightly, however we feel it is in the best interest of our employees and company to be proactive in response to the continue constrained log supply in our region.”Established in 1912, Stoltze is the oldest family-owned sawmill in Montana. It employs roughly 125 people.“For many years we have talked about he urgency in needing to address active management of our forests,” stated Paul McKenzie, resource manager at Stoltze. “Unfortunately, we have arrived at the point where hard decisions need to be made that will affect Stoltze, our employees and contractors. As a forester, it is disheartening to be surrounded by highly productive forests that could benefit from active management, yet still not have access to sufficient log supply to meet the production needs of our sawmill.”Correction: A previous version of this story stated incorrectly that the DNRC suspended its timber sale contracts for the Stillwater State Forest following a recent court decision. The DNRC suspended portions of its sale contracts.
NASSAU, The Bahamas (CMC) — The Bahamas Government yesterday confirmed five people had been killed in the Abacos as the virtually standstill, but weakening, Hurricane Dorian continued to pound The Bahamas. Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis told a news conference that the Royal Bahamas Police Force “has confirmed that there are five deaths in Abaco”, adding that teams would travel to Abaco as soon as possible for “full and proper assessments and identification”. He did not provide a breakdown of those killed, but earlier reports said that among the casualties was a nine-year-old boy, who drowned. His sister is reported still missing. You may be interested in… ‘Step In our Shoes’ – Dr. Carla Barnett Oct 7, 2020 Greater Focus on Regional Agriculture Sep 29, 2020 Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… Sep 10, 2020 Hurricane Dorian: Scale of Bahamas devastation emerges(BBC) Rescuers have begun to reach areas of the northern Bahamas devastated by Hurricane Dorian, with aerial images showing a trail of destruction. PM Hubert Minnis said some areas had been “decimated” and expected the current death toll of seven would rise. The hurricane winds that hit the Abaco Islands…September 4, 2019In “Anguilla”Five Dead, at least 21 injured in AbacoInitial reports have confirmed five people dead and at least twenty one injured on Abaco in the aftermath of destructive Hurricane Dorian, Prime Minister of The Bahamas, Dr. Hubert Minnis confirmed Monday, according to The Tribune. Dr. Minnis said the Royal Bahamas Police Force confirmed the tragic news of the deaths, adding…September 3, 2019In “CARICOM”PM Minnis: Government to review pledges, make decisions in best interest of The Bahamas(Bahamas Information Services Press Release) It is up to the Government to carefully review the pledges received at the recent Hurricane Dorian Pledging Conference and decide what is best for The Bahamas and for the people and communities in affected areas, Prime Minister the Most Hon. Dr. Hubert Minnis said today…January 21, 2020In “CARICOM”Share this on WhatsApp Sep 4, 2020 Make COVID Recovery ‘a true turning point’ for people and… CDB to Lend US$70M to The Bahamas and Saint Lucia,… Dorian made landfall as a Category Five storm on Sunday, packing blistering winds of 185 miles per hour. Minnis said the authorities were still coming to grips with the situation in “the midst of a historic tragedy”. But he was also critical of people who had engaged in reproducing “fake news” and videos surrounding the damage caused by the hurricane, described as one of the most powerful storms to hit The Bahamas since records began. Minnis told reporters that he wanted only the “official channels” to be used in providing information on the storm here, saying “we need to be sensitive in reporting such information and will do so as soon as we have reliable information
LocalNews DOMLEC announces appointment of new GM by: – September 15, 2014 Sharing is caring! 336 Views no discussions Tweet Share Bertilia MckenzieThe Chairman and Board of Directors of Dominica Electricity Services Limited (DOMLEC) has announced the appointment of Bertilia McKenzie as general manager.Mrs. McKenzie has been with the Company for over 16 years, most recently as Manager of Human Resources, and has demonstrated her commitment to the Company and her capacity to lead. Her academic background includes a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the City University of New York and a Master of Business Administration, Distinction, from the University of the West Indies.For the past two months she has served as Acting GM and comes to the role of General Manager at a time when the Company prepares for a new energy environment with the proposed introduction of geothermal energy. In her new role, Mrs. McKenzie will be a member of the Emera Caribbean leadership team and will have access to expertise within the group to support her in her role. The Emera team will also rely on guidance from Bertilia and be able to draw on her experience as it seeks to build a regional business to the benefit of all stakeholders – customers, employees, and shareholders. Mrs. McKenzie is supported by a dedicated senior management team and a well experienced group of employees at DOMLEC, who together will ensure that DOMLEC continues to focus on safety and delivering a high quality of service to electricity customers in Dominica.The Board extends congratulations and best wishes to Mrs. McKenzie as she takes up her new position. Share Share