Next Up The City Council’s decision to tear up the contract with our lobbying, Carl Parker, is short sighted and wrong.First, the legislative session is not entirely over. The Legislature will meet again later this month and it could consider laws that have a significant impact on Port Arthur.While Harold Doucet is correct when he said the city depends on the Texas Municipal League, Rep. Joe Deshotel and the city attorney, he does not seem to grasp that Parker’s position was still unique and important.First, as a former legislator, he knows the halls of power and the people inside those halls. In short, he knows how to get things done.Deshotel and the municipal league know these things too, but they cannot and do not focus exclusively to the benefit of Port Arthur. In addition, we presume Deshotel does not have the time or the staff to review piles of legislation written by other representatives and senators that could harm Port Arthur. But our lobbyist did have that time—that’s what he had been paid for.City Attorney Val Tizano is likewise valuable to the city, but she cannot spend her days in Austin reviewing potential legislation during session.Doucet and others are correct that the city should review outside contracts and eliminate them when they are not serving the interests of the city.But it’s not clear he understands what Parker was doing for the city.He said, “I haven’t heard one resolution yet from the attorney (Carl Parker) to lobby for us.”Lobbyists do not file resolutions. In fact, they normally keep their work quiet. Later in the city council meeting, Tizano pointed out that he has been working on three arbitrations—deals that cannot be discussed in public even after they’ve been resolved.Those arbitrations have yet to be settled; firing Parker means the city will have to find a new attorney and pay more money to re-arbitrate those cases.But beyond not understanding what Parker did for the city, the idea that the city council would eliminate a contract before the work’s even complete is akin to firing a contractor before a building is finished.The city council could have waited the extra 30 days the emergency legislative session is supposed to take and made a decision then.In fact, the council should have done this if it wanted him gone quickly.Or, the city could have waited until his contract is up in April.But, instead, five members of the city council voted for the worst option for the worst reasons.
Donovan Mitchell scored 19 of his 31 points in the fourth quarter to propel the Utah Jazz to a 107-91 victory over the Houston Rockets on Monday night at Salt Lake City. Jae Crowder added 23 points as fifth-seeded Utah staved off elimination in Game 4 with its first win in the best-of-seven Western Conference first-round series. Ricky Rubio had 18 points and 11 assists, Derrick Favors recorded 12 points and 11 rebounds, and Royce O’Neale added 11 points and 11 rebounds.“It’s not over,” Mitchell said in a postgame television interview with TNT. “We have another one, and another one, and another one.”James Harden scored 30 points for the fourth-seeded Rockets, who will again try to wrap up the series in Wednesday’s Game 5 in Houston. Chris Paul added 23 points, eight rebounds, seven assists and five steals for the Rockets. Eric Gordon scored 16 points and PJ Tucker added 13.Utah outscored Houston 31-12 in the fourth quarter.The Jazz held a 52-35 rebounding edge and connected on 43 percent of their field-goal attempts, including 11 of 35 from behind the arc. Houston shot 35.4 percent from the field, including 17 of 46 from 3-point range.Mitchell exploded for 13 points during a 15-1 run to start the fourth quarter as Utah opened up a 91-80 lead with 9:04 to play. Mitchell buried three 3-pointers during the run, including back-to-back long-range shots that had Houston coach Mike D’Antoni frantically signaling for a timeout.The Rockets moved within 95-86 on Paul’s dunk with 4:43 remaining. Mitchell answered with an acrobatic one-handed slam dunk off a lob from O’Neale, and he added a pull-up jumper to make it 99-86 with 3:41 left. Houston was unable to make a late-game charge.Harden scored 12 points in the third quarter as Houston turned a six-point halftime deficit into a 79-76 lead.Harden’s 3-pointer gave Houston a 72-67 lead with 2:52 left in the period before O’Neale and Georges Niang buried 3-pointers to give Utah a one-point edge. Austin Rivers drained a 3-pointer to put the Rockets back on top with 1:32 left and Paul later connected on a layup with 0.7 seconds left to account for the three-point lead entering the final stanza.Crowder scored 18 first-half points and Rubio added 15 as Utah led 53-47 at the break.—Field Level Media
Bayern Munich chairman Rummenigge not ruling out Lucas Hernandez dealby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is coy over talk of a deal for Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez.There’s been talk of Bayern meeting the €85m buyout clause in Lucas’ Atletico contract.”No decision has been made about this,” said Rummenigge. “Hasan Salihamidzic (sports director) and his team of scouts are watching interesting players, it’s their job and they’re doing it very well.”We have not yet made a final decision about whether we are going to do something in winter or summer. “I am not afraid of the future and we will carry out this change in the team, now we are in the first phase, the second will start in summer.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
WATCH: Liverpool boss Klopp fumes ‘how did Kompany not get sent off?!’by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City captain Vincent Kompany stands by his tackle on Mohamed Salah in victory over Liverpool.There’s claims the Belgian should’ve seen red for the challenge.But he says: “No I thought it was a great challenge. Was it not? Haha.”On the pitch I felt I got the ball, a bit of the man, I didn’t try to injure him at all. It was that or either let him go through on goal. The decision was made very quickly in my head.”But Reds boss Jurgen Klopp responded: “I really like Vincent Kompany but how on Earth is that not a red card? He is last man and he goes in. If he hits Mo more he is out for the season.”Kompany deserved a red card tbh. #MCILIVpic.twitter.com/gQxU8ruo5w— skyerenaee (@SkyeRenaee) January 3, 2019 About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Liverpool consider loan offers for Woodburnby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe 19-year-old has recently had his season-long loan with Sheffield United cut short.Woodburn made just eight appearances for the Blades. Now the Reds are weighing up where to send him next, according to the Liverpool Echo. The report claims Liverpool have multiple offers for the Wales international.Blackburn Rovers, Brentford and Hull City are among those interested in providing game time for Woodburn, who is currently recovering from an ankle injury. TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
mirror lake jump shut down after cardiac arestUpdate: According to The Columbus Dispatch, the unidentified man has died after suffering from cardiac arrest. Our thoughts and prayers go out to anyone affected by this tragedy.Update: #OhioState administration source says unidentified student dies after Mirror Lake jump… https://t.co/G5boK8feRm— dispatch editor (@dispatcheditor) November 25, 2015Earlier: Every year, on the Tuesday night ahead of the Michigan game, Ohio State students jump into Mirror Lake on campus to celebrate the rivalry. This time around, the festivities were cut a bit short. According to OSU student newspaper The Lantern, the jump was ended at 12:20 AM after emergency responders had to rush an unidentified man to the Wexner Medical Center. According to The Columbus Dispatch, the man was suffering from cardiac arrest.It was reported by Director of Public Safety Vernon Baisden at 4:45 AM that the man is currently in critical condition. Here’s video, via The Lantern:We’ll update this post as more information as it becomes available.
The Government is revisiting the idea of introducing hybrid vehicles to the local market, as it continues to put energy saving measures in place.Minister of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining, Hon. Phillip Paulwell, made the disclosure on Monday, June 24, as he addressed the official launch of Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) at the Petcom Dunrobin station, St. Andrew.Fuel retailers, marketing companies, motor vehicle dealers, motorists, and other stakeholders welcomed the introduction of the fuel.[RELATED: Gov’t to Schedule Expansion of Petrojam Refinery]Minister Paulwell noted that while the initial cost is higher than that of regular diesel, the improved mileage ULSD provides will redound to the long-term benefit of motorists.“We are encouraging Jamaicans to step up as we try to preserve our environment and make our vehicles last longer,” he stated.In his remarks, Sales and Marketing Manager, Petcom, Alphanso Chambers, said sulphur reduction in diesel is essential in ensuring the proper functioning of vehicles with advanced emission control systems, and new diesel engines.He noted that there is a reduction in harmful sulphur emissions, exhaust smoke and odour, leading to improved air quality, thereby protecting the environment.Mr. Chambers said that all necessary precautions have been taken to prevent contamination of ULSD. He informed that all marketing companies have been mandated to ensure that dedicated storage tanks, fuel lines, pumps and haulage trucks are identified to satisfactorily accommodate the transportation and retailing of the fuel.Motorists will be able to make the distinction between regular diesel and the newly introduced ULSD, as regular diesel has a red appearance, while ULSD is straw coloured.ULSD, which is being distributed by Petrojam, has a sulphur content of 15 parts per million, which is a vast improvement from the sulphur content of 5,000 parts per million, of the current diesel.The Minister also turned on the pumps at the Shell Gore Terrace on Constant Spring Road, to officially mark the arrival of the fuel at 10 service stations in the Shell network.Contact: Alphea Saunders
VANCOUVER – A strong economy is allowing Canadian officials to push for a better deal in negotiations on the North American Free Trade Agreement, Finance Minister Bill Morneau said Tuesday.Talks on the deal are “critically important” but Canada will remain firm in getting the best possible agreement, he told the Business Council of British Columbia.“Are there challenges? Yes. Do we need to be prepared to deal with them? Yes. We think that having our economy in the best possible position is the place from which we can do that, make decisions in a measured way, considering all the facts at hand,” he said.The government’s latest budget included measures to expand trade around the world, particularly in Asia, and the financial plan is fiscally responsible, which means Canada can hold out for a better deal on NAFTA, Morneau said.“We are going to continue to put forth why we don’t agree with some ideas that were put forth on the table by the United States. We’ve been pretty firm in that approach. We think that Canadians support us, that getting to a better deal is the way we should address this.”Ottawa is taking a similar approach to possible U.S. plans for tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, arguing Canada should be exempt from them, Morneau said, adding the tariff issue shouldn’t be linked to the free trade deal, as President Donald Trump suggested Monday.“From our perspective, the way to deal with a partner, to deal with our neighbour, is to be constructive,” Morneau said later after an event at the University of British Columbia. “We’re going to continue to be strong allies of the United States, we’re going to continue to be neighbours. And we’re taking that as our frame to negotiate for better outcomes.”Conservative MP Erin O’Toole couldn’t be reached for comment but in a statement he said he found Mourneau’s comments on tariffs and NAFTA “troubling.”“To suggest a failure of NAFTA or a trade war would not have a major impact on Canada is naive,” he said. “It’s deeply concerning that (Prime Minister Justin) Trudeau unveiled a federal budget that doesn’t contain a contingency plan if NAFTA is terminated, or promote policies that make Canada a more attractive place to invest and do business.”Mourneau said challenges to the economy come from within Canada as well, including the ongoing battle over the future of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline expansion between the Edmonton area and Metro Vancouver.“I’ll acknowledge that the current challenge between B.C. and Alberta is one of those frustrating things that happen in a democracy, but we need to deal with it,” he said.The skirmish began when B.C. proposed limits on shipments of diluted bitumen, a move that Alberta said would effectively kill the $7.4-billion project. Alberta retaliated by banning imports of B.C. wine, but called off the boycott when Premier John Horgan announced B.C. would ask the courts to decide whether it has the authority to bring in the restrictions.Morneau said the battle is unlikely to sway foreign businesses looking to invest in Canada.“As international investors look to Canada, I think they see positives. Democracy is a positive, which sometimes presents some messy aspects. That’s positive,” he said.He said the federal government is overhauling the approval process for similar projects. The changes are aimed at giving potential interveners an opportunity to voice their views as early as possible and implementing timelines that will give businesses certainty.“What we can say is that the previous process wasn’t working,” Morneau said.(Companies in this story: TSX:KML)
Hyderabad: The probe into the data theft case against IT Grids, a firm providing IT services to Andhra Pradesh’s ruling Telugu Desam Party (TDP), has gathered pace, said a top officer on Saturday. The Special Investigation Team (SIT) has stepped up the probe, said Inspector General of Police Stephen Ravindra, haeding the SIT, after more searches and scene reconstruction at the company’s office in Madhapur here. SIT along with clues team, scientific and technical advisors and experts visited the IT Grids office. “As part of the investigation, today we are reconstructing the scene here,” the official told reporters at the firm’s office. Also Read – Maruti cuts production for 8th straight month in SepHe said the investigations were being conducted from all angles. He said devices and other material seized so far were sent to Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for analysis and the same would be submitted to the court. The SIT was awaiting a reply from Amazon and Google about the data being used by IT Grids. On quash petition filed by IT Grids CEO D. Ashok in Telangana High Court, Stephen Ravindra said they would counter the petition. Cyberabad police had booked a case against IT Grids on March 2 on a complaint by T. Lokeswara Reddy that sensitive data including personal information of citizens of Andhra Pradesh was being processed illegally by the company without consent of the citizens. The data was allegedly used by the company for an app developed by it for TDP cadres. Also Read – Ensure strict implementation on ban of import of e-cigarettes: revenue to CustomsTelangana government on Wednesday constituted nine-member SIT for thorough investigations into the case. SIT was on the lookout for D. Ashok to interrogate and find out how he had access to data from government database. SIT chief said data of Telangana citizens was also found with the company. The police case and subsequent developments have triggered a huge row between the Telugu states with Andhra Pradesh alleging that TDP’s data was stolen under a conspiracy by Telangana’s ruling party Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and YSR Congress party. In a tit-for-tat, Andhra Pradesh government on Thursday set up an SIT to probe data theft case against Telangana.
Ghaziabad: A 27-year-old labourer was killed after a heavy metal pipe collapsed over him at Gaur Siddhartham society in Vijay Nagar area of Ghaziabad, on Friday morning.According to police, the deceased has been identified as Sunil Rajbhar, a native of Ballia district of Uttar Pradesh. “The incident occurred around 11 am on Friday when the labourers were working at construction site. The victim was present at the ground floor when a heavy metal pipe collapsed over him from the upper floor of the under construction building which had hit his head. The victim died on the spot while Police took the body into custody which was sent for post mortem. A complaint into the matter is awaiting and further necessary investigations into the case are underway,” said Shyamveer Singh, Station House officer of Vijaynagar police station. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderAn eyewitness who also works as labour at the same site said that the labours were not provided with proper safety tools while the scaffolding was also not properly interlocked. “There is no proper safety measures taken by the contractor at the site. A few workers didn’t wear any helmet while the safety net were also not present for the safety of worker at the site,” said Raghu, a labourer. Meanwhile, Manoj Gaur, CMD Gaur Group said that appropriate actions will be taken against the building contractor and internal investigations will be followed.