Sub-council 17 chairperson, George March, Ward 60 councillor, Mark Kleinschmidt, chairperson of Yorkshire/Groenvlei neighbourhood watch, Moosa Omar, mayco member for safety and security and social development, JP Smith, PR councillor, Garin Cavanagh. Six neighbourhood watch groups within Ward 60 received equipment worth R50 000 from councillor Mark Kleinschmidt, as part of the ward allocation budget.The neighbourhood watch groups received bicycles, torches and reflective jackets.Mr Kleinschmidt said he identified that crime and traffic calming required much attention in his ward, which includes Athlone (west of the railway line, south of Klipfontein Road, east of Kromboom Parkway and north of Mosman Road), Crawford (west of Jan Smuts Road, south of Kromboom Parkway, east of the railway line and north of Kendal Road), Lansdowne, Mowbray (Mowbray Golf Club), Rondebosch East and Sybrand Park.Said Mr Kleinschmidt: “SAPS are unable to tackle crime on their own, and I realised that our neighbourhood watches were playing a significant role as partners in being the eyes and ears in alerting residents and the relevant law enforcement agencies in Ward 60.”The six neighbourhood watch groups who benefited from the donation, are Sybrand Park, Garlandale, Lansdowne and Rondebosch East (Lanroe), Lansdowne Corridor (LansCor), Kenwyn and the Yorkshire/Groenvlei group, who, according to Mr Kleinschmidt, operates effectively in the ward.He added: “It was for this reason that I called on Charl Viljoen, who is a safety and security trainer, to present the Broken Glass Training session, which was held on Thursday March 9, at the Lansdowne civic centre. It was attended by 78 neighbourhood watch members, including the Lansdowne community police forum (CPF). The response from the neighbourhood watch groups was excellent, and additional members from outside of Ward 60 also requested permission to attend. Mr Viljoen must be commended for his enlightening presentation and we express our sincere gratitude to him.”The hand-over ceremony was held at the Athlone stadium on Monday May 15.Mr Kleinschmidt also sang the praises of the various neighbourhood watch members.“The presentation of safety and security equipment to the neighbourhood watch groups is an indication of my commitment to the selfless ordinary men and women who give of their time and efforts selflessly to assist in crime prevention in our community. Their cross-borders initiative is a further strategy to widen their catchment area in assisting law enforcement agencies to apprehend criminals and reduce crime in the City of Cape Town. “I trust that the safety equipment that is received may assist in their crime prevention tasks, and thank each member for their dedication and commitment,” Mr Kleinschmidt proudly said.
AUSTRALIA: ‘The biggest shake up to the state’s railways in a generation’ was announced by New South Wales Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian on May 15.The ‘Fixing the Trains’ initiative will see RailCorp replaced by two new organisations over the next 12 to 18 months. Sydney Trains is to be created to take over suburban services, while NSW Trains would operate long-distance inter-city and regional trains. The government hopes the new organisations will be better placed to tailor services to meet different customer needs. ‘RailCorp has tried to be everything to everyone and failed’, said Berejiklian. A new Customer Service Division is to be created from July 1, while responsibility for construction and major projects will be transferred to Transport for NSW, which was created last year with responsibility for policy and planning. Around 750 RailCorp middle-management jobs are to go through voluntary redundancies. Train cleaning procedures will be revised to eliminate legacy working practices, with 870 staff transferring to a specialist unit and ‘commercial’ benchmarks introduced. The government is predicting that patronage on its rail services will grow by 50% over the next 25 years, and says meeting this demand would be ‘unsustainable without reform’. It claims RailCorp’s operating costs are 50% higher per passenger-km than comparable international systems, with rolling stock maintenance costs 30% higher per vehicle-km. ‘RailCorp is currently financially unsustainable’, said Berejiklian. ‘It costs A$10m a day to run, with costs rising three times as fast as the number of passenger journeys.’ Restructuring aims ‘to give the people of NSW the world-class rail system they deserve’, said Berejiklian. ‘This is all about making customers the focus of the railways, not the bureaucracy. These changes will align rail services to customers’ needs and make it easier for rail employees to do their job. Unless we take drastic action, things will continue to get worse’. Berejiklian said more changes are planned, but privatisation ‘is not our policy.’
14 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Tweet Share Share LocalNews UWP leader served with lawsuit by: – June 27, 2014 Share Political leader of the Opposition United Workers Party (UWP), Lennox Linton (file photo)Political leader of the Opposition United Workers Party (UWP), Lennox Linton has been officially served with a lawsuit claiming slander.The claim was filed in court by the ministers of government through their legal team headed by senior counsel Anthony Astaphan on June 18, 2014. They are seeking damages including aggravated damages for the slander published, broadcast or caused to be broadcast by Mr Linton and second defendant, Q 95FM Radio West Indies Communicating Enterprise Ltd (WICE).Speaking on the Q95FM Radio on Friday, June 27, 2014, Mr Linton confirmed that he was served by two police officers “around 6:30PM” on June 26.He was served with the lawsuit after failing to apologize and pay compensation of one million dollars to the Cabinet of Ministers of Dominica for a statement he made at a UWP rally last month.In his speech at a UWP Youth Rally on Sunday, May 25, 2014 at St. Joseph, Mr Linton claimed that government ministers “rape young people in exchange for public assistance at the expense of the state”.Mr Linton also confirmed that he is in consultation with his attorneys who will commence preparation of his defence “very soon”.“This is a very serious matter; this is a matter that allows the people of Dominica to understand who really has been serving them in government for the past fourteen years”.Mr Linton noted that in other Caribbean countries, ministers of government have been fired “for much less than what the government in Dominica know they are guilty of” and “all of that will come out in the court”. He said the eighteen claimants, will also be required to stand in court and say what they know about specific claims that have been made against ministers of government, in respect to their conduct towards young ladies, more particularly, those who have been seeking assistance from these ministers, from state funds. The UWP leader further stated that he is “not afraid” or “intimidated” by the lawsuit.“To me, I count it an honor, that eighteen ministers in one government could want to take me on in a matter that involves their conduct in public life and I’m ready to defend, I’m ready to tell the court and tell the world what I know”.Mr Linton, who had been out of state since May 28, 2014, returned on island earlier this week.Dominica Vibes News