The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has reported finding elevated levels of polyfluorinated compounds in four different locations at East Hampton Airport. Independent/Courtesy DECThe Town of East Hampton, which has already found itself on the receiving end of a class-action suit filed on behalf of Wainscott residents who fear their water may be tainted by the chemicals, has launched its own legal counter-offensive, filing suit against two local fire districts and nearby property owners, which it claims may be responsible for the groundwater contamination.The East Hampton Town Airport has long been suspected as being at least one source of the water contamination that has been traced to private drinking water wells in Wainscott. Now, a report issued last week by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation shows elevated levels of polyfluorinated compounds in groundwater samples taken from the 610-acre site.Although the DEC report identifies four areas of concern and calls for additional study, it stops short of concluding the airport is the source of the contamination.The DEC launched its study in April 2018, seeking to determine if polyfluorinated compounds, which are used in firefighting foam and in other industrial applications, would be found at the airport.The DEC reported that it had found four separate areas at the facility where levels of the chemicals were well above the federal Environmental Protection Agency advisory levels for drinking water.Meanwhile, as East Hampton Town struggles to bring the situation under control, it announced in mid-December that the Suffolk County Water Authority was putting the finishing touches on an aggressive effort to install 8.5 miles of new water mains through Wainscott, so that an estimated 500 residences in the hamlet could be connected to public water.Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc this week it is still too early to place the blame on the contamination solely on activities at the airport. The DEC study, he noted, “has yet to determine if the findings pose a threat to the public health. There have been other locations that have had quite high readings separate from the airport.” Studies would continue on and off the site, he added.Nonetheless, the supervisor said he was happy to report that residents living in the affected area can now hook up to public water and headvised them to do so.Last year, after the water authority announced it had discovered trace amounts of contaminants in private wells, the town provided residents with bottled drinking water and made whole-house filtration systems available. After state aid was secured, the water authority began last August to install water mains throughout Wainscott, finishing the project just before Christmas.Although the DEC report did not find elevated levels of the chemicals, known as PFOSs, in drinking water supplies at the airport, it did find four areas, where the levels were well above the federal threshold of 70 parts per billion. A level of 290 parts per billion was found in an area where firefighting foam had been sprayed during a mass casualty drill, and a similarly high level of 270 parts per billion was recorded in another area where there had been a plane crash and additional training drills. Elevated levels were also found near the airport fire station, where 170 parts per billion were detected, and near the East Hampton Town Police Department, where a level of 160 parts per billion was detected.The DEC reached no conclusions with its findings and said additional study would be needed to determine a course of action.On December 31, the town filed suit in New York State Supreme Court against the Bridgehampton and East Hampton Fire Districts as well as manufacturers of firefighting foam, including the 3M Corporation, and neighboring property owners seeking to protect itself from liability in the matter. Van Scoyoc said while the problem will likely take years to wend its way to conclusion, he hoped that the arrival of public water to Wainscott meant the beginning of the end of the problem for residents [email protected] Share
Canadian ferry operator BC Ferries held a naming ceremony for its first Salish-Class vessel at Remontowa Shipbuilding S.A. in Gdansk, Poland earlier this week.The new ferry, christened Salish Orca, will replace the 50-year-old Queen of Burnaby on the Comox – Powell River route after it joins the BC Ferries’ fleet in late 2016.Featuring dual-fuel, Salish Orca is capable of running on liquefied natural gas (LNG) or ultralow sulphur diesel.Three ships are currently under construction, with the other ships, Salish Eagle and Salish Raven, set to enter operations in the Southern Gulf Islands in 2017.Using primarily LNG to fuel the news ships will result in reduced emissions and reduced costs for BC Ferries.“This marks a major milestone in building our new ships, as we honour maritime tradition with the official naming ceremony for the Salish Orca,” said Mike Corrigan, BC Ferries’ President and CEO. “As we progress with our vessel replacement program, we will continue to look for opportunities to build LNG-powered ferries, while maintaining our high standard of safety and reliability as well as reducing our environmental footprint.” The new Salish-Class ships will replace vessels that are at the end of their life cycle.
Play VideoPlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 0:00Loaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%0:00 Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1ChaptersChaptersdescriptions off, selectedDescriptionssubtitles off, selectedSubtitlescaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedCaptionsAudio TrackFullscreenThis is a modal window. The Video Cloud video was not found. Error Code: VIDEO_CLOUD_ERR_VIDEO_NOT_FOUND Session ID: 2020-09-17:fa73ebdfc82ecfbccfa31403 Player ID: videojs-brightcove-player-580007-3907730859001 OK Close Modal DialogCaption Settings DialogBeginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsDefaultsDoneClose Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (Univ. of Ark.) – On the eve of facing former Southwest Conference rival SMU, the Arkansas men’s basketball team earned first national ranking since November of 2007 as it came in at No. 25 in the latest Associated Press top 25 poll released on Monday.The Razorbacks earned votes in each of the first two weeks in the AP and USA Today Coaches polls, but the No. 25 ranking is the program’s first top 25 appearance since it was No. 18 heading into the 2007 Puerto Rico Tip-Off.Off to its third straight 3-0 start, Arkansas’ unbeaten opening week of play was highlighted by a 30-point win, 83-53, over ACC foe Wake Forest at Bud Walton Arena. It marks the first time since 2004-05 that Arkansas has won its first three games by 18+ points. The Razorbacks’ last two opponents have a combined 44 turnovers and 44 field goals and Arkansas has forced its opponents into double-digit turnovers in four of six halves with at least nine in every half.Arkansas returned six of its top seven scorers from last year’s club that won 22 games and advanced to the second round of the NIT under head coach Mike Anderson. Preseason Wooden Watch List member sophomore Bobby Portis leads the team in both scoring (16.0) and rebounding (5.7), while eight different players have already reached double figures to help Arkansas lead the SEC and rank eighth in the nation in scoring at 93 points per night.Heading to Dallas to face SMU on Tuesday, the Razorbacks will look to open the season 4-0 for the first time since the 2006-07 campaign and have won three of their last five regular season road contests dating back to last season. Arkansas has won 12 in a row against SMU, including the last six in Dallas.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, travel to and from Russia is currently severely restricted. Thus, a league with clubs from several countries has a big problem. Beijing’s “Kunlun Red Star” home games are scheduled to take place in Moscow.“It has long been said that Kunlun will play in Mitišči. Riga’s Dinamo is probably in the same situation as we are. They are also waiting and following the situation,” says the Finnish hockey legend. “We hope to be able to spend our home games in Helsinki. This is option number one. If that doesn’t happen, then we need to see what we can do. There has been no demand from KHL that we should move.”If KHL recommends moving to Russia, but Jokerit wants to play in Helsinki, will you have any leverage in these negotiations? “That’s what we’re trying to do. No progress will be made in July,” he says Jari Kurri. KHL’s next season Jokerit play is in jeopardy? “No, no, no… Yes, we want to play KHL.”The start of the new season of KHL is scheduled for September 2, but the start date will largely depend on the epidemiological situation. “The best option for us and probably everyone else would be to postpone the start of the season a little later. Hopefully it will start even in early October. If there was a little more time, we could be calmer.”The exact number of teams is not yet known and the venues of the home games need to be clarified, so it does not look like the calendar of next season’s KHL games will be announced in the near future.Resources used:is.fi
Dear Editor,David Granger fired the first salvo in pursuit of his historical mission to misinterpret and revise Guyana’s contemporary political history.In the course of a lecture delivered at Parliament Building on July 6, 2012, he declared; “There is no Father of the Nation, Independence cannot be attributed to a single person or to a single party.”With this single sentence, Granger dismissed out of hand any role for both Cheddi Jagan and Forbes Burnham, by the same token, he distanced himself from Burnham, his benefactor, “the Kabaka” and Founder Leader of the Party – the People’s National Congress (PNC) – he now heads.A mere three years later, Amna Ally speaking at a ceremony hosted by the Women’s Arm of the PNC on August 7, 2015, contradicted Granger. She publicly hailed Burnham as “the Father of the Nation”.It was the politics of deception at work.In the same month and year to mark the same occasion but at a different venue, Granger made a 90 degree about turn, probably to appease the Nortons and other hardline Burnhamites, who had expressed publicly their disagreement with Granger’s earlier “Father of the Nation” statement.Praising Burnham, this is what Granger had to say: “Guyanese, are heirs of a rich legacy bequeathed by Forbes Burnham… we draw strength from our former leader’s exemplary record and renew our collective effort to continue his life’s work and to create a good life for all Guyanese.” Continuing his historical mission to dictate the course of history and to provide his own interpretation of Guyana’s political history, speaking at a President’s College Graduation ceremony in November 2015, Granger declared that Guyana needs a “Second Independence”. He stated that “The independence movement was “incomplete”… it left many citizens languishing in the shadow of dependency with its poverty, prejudices and political partisanship.”Granger completely and consciously side-stepped the programmes and policies implemented by the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) from 1957 to 1964 but more importantly, those implemented from 1992 to 2015.At the ceremony marking the 49th anniversary of Guyana’s independence held at the Independence Arch at Brickdam, Georgetown, Granger praised to the skies one Theopholus Lee who he claimed played a major role in the Guyanese people’s struggle for Universal Adult Suffrage – a rather far-fetched and obscurantist approach to Guyanese political history. It was a falsehood which could not survive a test of a Guyanese history lesson nor scrutiny of British Guiana’s historical records.It astounded many that Granger would scrape the barrel searching for an obscure and a non-entity as Lee, a turncoat who openly supported pro-colonial policies against the citizens of the then British Guiana.It came as a surprise therefore that Granger did not use the occasion to name the Brickdam Arch after Theopholus Lee.But this was not to be the end of the revisionist and obscurantist approach to Guyana’s contemporary political history. In fact, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of our country’s independence, Mr Granger was at it again. This time, he delved deep into his party’s album in search of a hero who perhaps Burnham himself never liked anyway. Thus, Granger came up with the name Eugene Correia.The question was where was the name to be placed? A location had to be found to assign the name and, after all, what better place can there be than the Ogle International Airport.The President therefore took it upon himself to sell the name and to publicly justify the name being emblazoned atop the main terminal building at the Ogle International Airport.In this way, Granger opened a can of worms, all hell broke loose, the proposal became mired in controversy from the very outset but there was no turning back.Eugene Correia belonged to privileged and propertied class of the then British Guiana. Following the removal of the PPP Government as a result of the suspension of the Constitution by the colonial powers, he was elected a member of the 1954 Interim Government.Correia belonged to the National Democratic Party (NDP) which fought the PPP in 1953 elections. Correia’s party was closely associated with the League of Coloured People (LCP); a party that appealed to African racism. Correia, along with others, opposed the Rice Farmers’ Security of Tenure Ordinance.According to Cheddi Jagan, “The Ordinance sought to help rice farmers during droughts and floods and to secure and protect their rights. For a landlord who did not keep drains and trenches free from bush; the penalty was again; that the tenant would vacate the land. The landlord deliberately did not uphold the rules of good estate management. And vacating the land was the last thing the tenant wanted to do – The law was of no value to him”.So much for the “admirable role” played by Eugene Correia. Rice farmers today should take note of these historical facts as they continue to struggle for survival 50 years later.Guyana can look forward to more of these brazen and disrespectful acts as we move towards celebrating the 50th anniversary of our country’s independence.Respectfully,Clement RoheeGeneral SecretaryPeople’s ProgressiveParty