Minister Calls on Businesses To Support Local Furniture Manufacturers CommerceOctober 9, 2010 RelatedMinister Calls on Businesses To Support Local Furniture Manufacturers RelatedMinister Calls on Businesses To Support Local Furniture Manufacturers Advertisements FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Minister of Industry, Investment and Commerce, Hon. Karl Samuda has reinforced the call for businesses to support local furniture manufacturers, and to push them to ensure that their products are internationally competitive.Mr. Samuda said that while imported furniture indicates that the taste of the Jamaican customer has risen to the level that propels local producers to make quality goods, with consistent delivery and competitive prices, manufacturers need the continued support of retailers.Minister of Industry, Investment and Commerce, Hon. Karl Samuda examine a refrigerator inside the Cross Roads Branch of Courts Jamaica Limited, on October 7, during a tour of the store, at the unveiling ceremony for the company’s new concept store at that location.The Minister was speaking at the unveiling of Courts Jamaica Limited’s new concept, Cross Roads store, on Slipe Road, on October 7. The branch underwent a $15 million refurbishing and upgrading exercise.Mr. Samuda said that not only should the country produce furniture locally for this chain (Courts) in Jamaica, but “we should look beyond Jamaica to try to compete with the other stores that purchase furniture from different parts of the world.”He said this is a “glorious” opportunity for the manufacturing sector, but this requires courage and entrepreneurship to take risks, to be innovative, creative, and to apply appropriate technology to enable Jamaica to take its place on the international market.“I encourage this company to continue to support local manufacturing, because manufacturing has fallen from a high of 19 per cent in the 1980s to be struggling to get to nine per cent of our Gross Domestic Product,” he said.Minister of Industry, Investment and Commerce, Hon. Karl Samuda (right), in discussion with Managing Director of Courts Jamaica Limited, Hayden Singh (left) and Chief Executive Officer of Courts Caribbean, Mario Gerrero at the unveiling ceremony for the company’s new concept store in Cross Roads, on October 7.Courts is the region’s largest furniture, appliance and electronic retail store, with the Cross Roads branch being its flagship location. The 51 year-old company operates 87 stores in 11 Caribbean countries, including Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Belize, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, Dominica, Trinidad, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Guyana. RelatedMinister Calls on Businesses To Support Local Furniture Manufacturers
The PGA Championship field will start to take shape after this week with the top 70 on a special PGA Tour money list getting into the field. For the U.S. Open, anyone not already eligible who doesn’t crack the top 60 in the world ranking can go to one of 10 final qualifying sites in America. The British Open feels more like a closed shop this year, though not by choice. Early summer is when the Open offers qualifying spots to top finishers at European Tour and PGA Tour events. But those aren’t available as the R&A tries to honor those who qualified for a major that was canceled last year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the top 50 in the world is determined on May 23, there are precious few spots for professionals available for Royal St. George’s on July 15-18. There are eight qualifying spots in England. There are three spots for Japan Golf Tour events. And the R&A will take the leading five players from Europe and the PGA Tour points lists in late June provided they are among the top 20. Players also can qualify by winning the PGA Championship or U.S. Open, a slightly taller task. The majors last year had to make adjustments to their criteria because of the pandemic. The Masters, postponed by seven months, chose to stick with its April field. The U.S. Open, postponed by three months in 2020, had to do without qualifying and came up with exemption categories that reflected a qualifying system. The British Open was canceled. That means the four “Open Qualifying Series” sites that were held before the pandemic are being honored. Danny Lee, Joel Dahmen and Keith Mitchell were the leading three players from the top 10 at Bay Hill a year ago in March to earn spots. They will be in the field because the Open was not played last year. Mitchell and Lee have not finished in the top 10 since that week in Bay Hill. Golf Central R&A revises qualifying for Open Championship BY Brentley Romine — March 10, 2021 at 8:07 AM The R&A is revising regional and final qualifying for this summer’s Open Championship at Royal St. George’s. Also in the field is those who made it to the Tour Championship in August 2019, a list that includes Lucas Glover and Chez Reavie. “I guess it’s similar to how people feel about exemptions,” Glover said. “I earned my way in two years ago, so I should have played last year. So maybe I get to play this year.” The R&A typically has 12 sites for its Open Qualifying Series. Last year the PGA Tour would have had such qualifiers at the Canadian Open, the Travelers Championship and the John Deere Classic. Europe lost out on sites in Germany, Ireland and Scotland.
Saturday evening at the sold out 2013 HARD Summer EDM festival in Los Angeles State Historic Park, a concert attendee died of cardiac distress and passed away at the hospital. Live Nation claims to have had all proper medical staff on the premises and the patron received CPR within two minutes of notification.Hard Summer is run by HARD Events‘s founder Gary Richards (Destructo). Headliners for this year’s event include Bassnectar, Duck Sauce, Dog Blood (Skrillex and Boys Noize), Justice (DJ Set), Flying Lotus, Knife Party, and Empire of the Sun. On twitter, Flying Lotus claims to have witnessed the event firsthand.Damn. I saw a guy die before I played my set. Heavy.— FLYLO (@flyinglotus) August 4, 2013Official statement from Live Nation:During Saturday evening’s event held at Los Angeles State Historic Park, a patron experienced cardiac distress and sadly passed away at the hospital. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.Our guests’ safety and well being is of paramount importance at every Live Nation event. We have skilled EMT’s, police, and security staff deployed on site to respond to any emergency situation and last night members of this emergency team were with this patron and administering CPR within two minutes of notification. We work closely with local health and safety authorities to plan for emergencies and set the appropriate staffing levels for each event.
Irisity AB (publ) is launching the deep-learning algorithm IRIS Violent Behavior for increased safety in public places.Real-time detection of potentially harmful behavior in public and private areas is a sought-after but challenging task for surveillance systems and security providers. So far, this detection has mostly been done manually at high cost and low precision.Irisity’s new deep-learning algorithm IRIS Violent Behavior analyzes with high precision and in real time an unlimited number of cameras and triggers video alarms when violent behavior is identified. The algorithm uses pose estimation technology to determine the exact position of selected body parts and has been trained on millions of images. IRIS Violent Behavior identifies situations with violent or otherwise unusual human motion, including situations likely caused by violence, such as people sitting or lying down on the ground.The service can be easily installed on both existing and new cameras and thereafter protects public places around the clock.Irisity’s new algorithm is included as an add-on to the SaaS service. IRIS is fully scalable for large installations and can be selected together with Irisity’s patented real-time anonymization for the protection of personal privacy.IRIS Violent Behavior is now offered to customers in Sweden and internationally together with our global partner G4S.
Email LinkedIn In both studies, Meredith Chivers (Psychology) showed that only heterosexual women who were exclusively attracted to men showed similar genital responses to both female and male sexual stimuli. Heterosexual women who also report some attraction to women, however, showed a different pattern of response; their genital responses were greater to female stimuli, similar to other sexually-diverse women.“Both exclusively and predominantly androphilic women (women attracted to men) showed sexual response patterns that differed from their self-reported sexual attractions. Sexually-diverse women showed genital and self-reported arousal responses that were more similar to their self-reported sexual attractions,” says Dr. Chivers. “As a whole, this research illustrates the complex relationship between sexual identity, sexual attraction, sexual arousal and genital responses to sexual stimuli.”Recently, research has misinterpreted this current study to suggest that heterosexuality doesn’t exist in women because heterosexual women show sexual responses to female stimuli. Read the story here.The current study highlights how this interpretation is incorrect; women’s sexual identity, attractions and patterns of sexual response are not interchangeable, such that a woman’s sexual desires and attractions cannot be deduced from her sexual response patterns.“Instead, this research provides a window of opportunity to understand how women’s sexual response relates to her experience of sexual attraction and desire, addressing gaps in contemporary models of sexual response,” says Dr. Chivers.Based on the findings that self-identified heterosexual women respond to both female and male sexual stimuli, researchers could next explore how exposure to mainstream sexual media, in which women are routinely objectified, and where sexual interactions between two women are becoming commonplace, affects patterns of sexual response.The results of the research were published in PLOS ONE. New research from of the Sexuality and Gender Laboratory at Queen’s University shows that heterosexual women have more diverse patterns of sexual response than previously reported.Research on women’s sexual orientation and patterns of sexual response has previously focused on women’s genital and subjective sexual arousal relative to their sexual identity, as heterosexual, bisexual or lesbian. Among women, however, there is significant diversity among women in their sexual attractions to other women and men, regardless of sexual identity. For example, a substantial minority of heterosexual women (20 per cent in some studies) also report some attraction to women.In the first study, women watched short videos, and in the second study, women listened to stories about interacting sexually with a woman or a man. Genital response was measured with a vaginal photoplethysmograph (a clear acrylic device that illuminates the capillary bed of the vaginal wall) and participants also self-reported their sexual arousal. Share on Facebook Pinterest Share on Twitter Share
The offshore wind energy sector needs up to EUR123 billion in investment between now and 2020 if it is to meet its target of 40 GW of installed capacity, and the financial community is able to invest this amount, new research shows.What’s blocking the investment is the uncertainty caused by changing regulatory frameworks, not least in the two largest markets, the UK and Germany, the independent survey of the financial community shows.“By undermining investment stability, governments are putting green growth, jobs and a world-leading European industry at risk”, said CEO of the European Wind Energy Association (EWEA), Thomas Becker, at the report launch in Frankfurt at EWEA OFFSHORE 2013 today.“Stable national frameworks and a binding EU renewable energy target for 2030 will be a green light to investors and ensure the industry continues to flourish”, he added.The report, ‘Where’s the money coming from? Financing offshore wind farms’ comes from EWEA with research from Ernst and Young.Download the report’s executive summary here. Press release, November 20, 2013; Image: EWEA
More information can be found at KenaiRiverMarathon.org. The 2020 Kenai River Marathon will not be a Boston Marathon Qualifier. The Kenai Chamber of Commerce told KSRM that there are multiple needs, both on the day of the event as well as the days leading up to it: “To volunteer, either the Friday or Saturday prior to the event – to help with bib handouts, they can get a hold of us. Or, if they would like to volunteer on the actual day of the race, we are very grateful for any and all volunteers we get for our event as well as we are in the need of people to host water stations. If you’re interested in any of those, you can give us a call at (907) 283-1991.” Proceeds generated from the Kenai River Marathon will go to the Kenai Community Foundation to support the development of parks and recreation in and around Kenai. The Kenai River Marathon is hosted by the Kenai Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center in partnership with the City of Kenai, as well as many community volunteers. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Kenai Chamber of Commerce is still planning on hosting the 2020 Kenai River Marathon Run Series on September 27. Registration is ongoing online and at the Kenai Visitor Center, but to ensure the event runs without a hitch, the Chamber is seeking volunteers to help with the marathon.
Glorious night for Equestrian Sport as Irish Show Jumping Team named RTE Sport Awards “Team Of The Year” 17 December 2017, 01:14 Home » General » Glorious night for Equestrian Sport as Irish Show Jumping Team named RTE Sport Awards “Team Of The Year” The Irish Show Jumping team have beaten off competition from the best teams in Ireland to be crowned 2017 RTE Sport Awards “Team Of The Year” during a show broadcast live on RTE TV last night (Saturday).Cian O’Connor accepts the RTE Sport Awards ‘Team of the Year’ trophy from Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross, TD, and RTE Sports presenter Joanne CantwellIreland’s Show jumpers, who won Team Gold at the European European Championships in Gothenburg back in August for the first time in 16 years, were among seven teams who were nominated, with the winner decided by public vote. The All-Ireland winning Galway Hurling and Dublin Football teams, Cork City FC, Dublin Ladies Footballers, Cork Camogie and Irish Rowing duo Mark O’Donovan & Shane O’Driscoll, were among the nominees, however the public decided that our Equestrian stars were The Team of 2017.Rodrigo Pessoa’s squad of Mark McAuley, Bertram Allen, Shane Sweetnam, Denis Lynch, and Cian O’Connor, came out on top on a thrilling night in Gothenburg, with three clear rounds on the final night clinching the gold medal.(l-r) Taylor Vard, Gerry Mullins, Cian O’Connor, Ronan Murphy (HSI CEO) and Sport Ireland CEO John Treacy pictured at the RTE Sport Awards where the Irish Show Jumping team were named “Team of the Year”Cian O’Connor who made a dash from Olympia Horse Show in London where he was competing to attend the RTE Awards, was asked by RTE’s Joanne Cantwell if this Team of the Year Award win was expected:“No not at all, it’s a big surprise and i’m delighted to accept the award on behalf of the lads,” he said. It’s incredible, a lot of the lads are based abroad and when they come home to Ireland they know they have a lot of support here. Everyone has put in so much work behind the scenes to make it happen – the first time in 16 years that Ireland has won a team Gold Medal at the European Championships. We are obviously thrilled, we have a big year next year we have the World Championships which is a qualifier for the Tokyo and this is certainly a great boost.”Horse Sport Ireland CEO Ronan Murphy was keen to thank everyone who voted:“I want to congratulate Rodrigo Pessoa and the team on a fantastic achievement in winning the RTE Team of the Year Award. It is a fitting accolade following what was a fantastic year for Irish Show Jumping and I want to thank our sponsors, owners, grooms and the HSI High Performance Committee. This year has given us a great platform as we work towards the 2018 World Equestrian Games and Toyko 2020. I want to pay tribute to our HSI Press Office. We are one of the only National Federations to have a 24/7 press office and they did a fantastic job raising awareness of these awards through our social media on Team Ireland Equestrian. Most importantly I want to thank everyone who took the time to vote for our team and help us win this award. It is great to see this level of engagement from the Irish public with Equestrian Sport and helps to increase participation and future development of The Sport Horse Industry.”The RTE Sportsperson of the year award went to Irish soccer player James McClean. Racehorse trainer Aidan O’Brien was named Manager of the Year following his record-breaking 2017. The Young Sportsperson of the Year Award went to swimmer Mona McSharry, while former World Champion Snooker player Ken Doherty was inducted into the Hall of Fame.The Irish Show Jumping team is sponsored by The Underwriting Exchange and Devenish.Equiline – Official athlete clothing supplier of Team Ireland Equestrian Tags:
Related iStock/Thinkstock(MIAMI) — The U.S. Coast Guard won’t install warning lights on a Florida jetty where Miami Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez crashed his boat, killing himself and two other passengers last year.The Coast Guard announced its decision in a press release Thursday, saying the existing color-coded, lighted buoys and lighted range markers were “sufficient.”During an early morning trip on Sept. 25, 2016, the boat carrying Fernandez, 24, Eduardo Rivero, 25 and Emilio Macias, 27, slammed into a jetty off the coast of Miami Beach, killing all three men. Images from the scene of the deadly crash showed Fernandez’s 32-foot center console SeaVee overturned atop the jagged jetty.A lengthy investigation by the Florida Wildlife and Conservation Commission concluded in March that Fernandez was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and he was behind the wheel when the boat, traveling more than 65 mph, crashed into the jetty at the southern end of Miami Beach.“Fernandez’s impairment and manner of operation caused the accident, which resulted in his death and the death of his occupants, Eduardo Rivero and Emilio Macias,” the commission concluded in the 46-page report.Miami Marlins president David Samson responded to the commission’s final report on the crash in a statement to ABC News at the time, saying: “No matter what the report has concluded, nothing will ever diminish Jose’s everlasting positive connection with Miami and the Miami Marlins. Nor can it lessen the love and passion he felt for his family, friends, teammates and all his fans in South Florida and around the world.”The deadly crash prompted calls from local and state officials as well as boaters for the Coast Guard to place navigational lights on the unlit jetty, saying it posed a serious threat.But after an analysis that began last fall, the Coast Guard determined that installing new lights could possibly create confusion between the existing ones and thus impair safe navigation.“The Coast Guard takes its Aids to Navigation mission very seriously and strives to provide the most effective and safest navigable waterways to the public and commercial mariner communities,” Capt. Megan Dean, commander of the Coast Guard Sector Miami, said in a statement Thursday. “We cannot stress enough to all waterway users to adhere to existing channel aids and use all available means to navigate safely on the water.”Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico